1) Write a powerful resume
Your resume discloses a lot more about personal, professional details of you, it reveals,
- How you view yourself.
- How well you can present yourself.
- How much you love your success.
- How positive and energetic you are for achieving success.
- How creative you are.
- How well you can sell yourself.
- How you work professionally.
- How much you love to work in specific field.
Your resume is the
- Documented proof of the successes you have achieved in various fields in the past.
- Your version of story.
- Through your resume you are able to tell others what you would like them to know about you.
Here are the points to write powerful resume,
- Have a Master Resume (it can be your LinkedIn profile) with all your projects and work experience. Then you can prepare job specific resume from your master resume that matches the particular job you are applying for.
- Your front page of resume should be clear so that the employer will get interest to read further of it.
- There are many templates or websites available to create a resume. Use anyone of them and update your resume consistently.
- Keep it focused. Don’t give complete summary of your academic qualification or about the projects. Make it in few words and you can explain them in details if the employer shows interest in it.
- Get your resume reviewed by friend or mentor or career counselor.
- Have a LinkedIn profile so that you will be updating your resume frequently whenever you had any updates.
2) Research about the company
Get to know more about the company which you have applied for interview and you will be clear to decide if the company is right place for you to work. This will also help you while having conversation with interviewer and you can show yourself well in “tell me about yourself” by adding few words about the company and your interest in the company.
Glassdoor.com gives reviews about companies. You can search for companies.Match your qualifications with Job requirements listed and be prepared to answer how you are the right choice for the job position.
3) Make a checklist
While preparing for an interview make checklist which helps you beforehand leaving for interview, check it on night before the interview, some points which you can include in check lists are,
- Resume and referral mail(if you are going through some referral) copies
- Check the Bus route to reach the company.
- Formal outfit
- Healthy meal
- Prepare the questions which you want to ask interviewer to get clarity about the company or the job position.
- If you have the details of interviewer then check their profile in LinkedIn.com.
- Avoid sweaty palms
4) Work on your Soft skills
Apart from technical skills, workplace success needs Soft skills as well. You may be asked few questions indirectly that reveals your soft skills. For example, “how do you spend your free time” , “are you comfortable working in group”, “what was your last group project and how did you handle conflict”, “did you have someone as mentor” , “do you like mentoring your juniors”, “do you attend meetups and network”, “what is your long term goal”, “where do you see yourself in 5 years”, “have you taken online courses”, “do you have github profile”.
So build “Soft Skills” which includes
- People skills
- Find mentors
- Make Career Networking
- Build a brand
- Long-term career perspective
- Value non-technical courses
- Understand data gathering and analysis
- Presentation skills
- Separate personal and professional lives
- Work/life balance
- Prioritizing and executing
5) Dress Up for Success
Pick your comfortable formal outfits for your job interview. Just keep your outfit as simple as that because appearance plays major role in getting first good impression.
6) Have a Mock interview
Practice most common interview questions likes tell me about yourself , your strengths and weakness , what are your expectations.
Most importantly, there are some things which you should tell and not to tell or do during interview.
Should in interview:
- You are motivated
- You are constantly seeking to learn new things.
- You are flexible at work.
- You are a good influencer.
- You are excited about the job.
- Provide an example for the questions asked by interviewer.
Should not in interview:
- Talking negatively about the current employer.
- Showing no interest in knowing about the interviewer or the company.
- Answering phone calls or text messages.
- Taking long time for answering the question. If you don’t know the answer then be open and tell that you don’t know the answer.
- While introducing you don’t tell more about personal life. Just few words is fine.
7) Prepare for Aptitude Test:
The first step of almost every IT company is an aptitude test that can be online or written. Aptitude test is conducted to check the overall problem solving ability of the person plus the basics.
It may include:
• Arithmetic Aptitude (questions on basic mathematics)
• Logical Reasoning
• Verbal (checking how good the person is in English language)
You may practice aptitude at: https://www.indiabix.com/
Some companies may conduct group discussion to evaluate your communication skills and how well you present your points of view
- When the topic is assigned, if you have any doubts on the topic, just ask. Ask the coordinator whatever is not clear to you before the discussion starts.
- The one who starts or concludes the discussion has the maximum chances of clearing the GD.
- Be confident and fluent when you are expressing your points. You need to show your command in English language as well as your confidence about the point you are stating.
- Be clear with your points. If you are in favor of a topic, you need to support the topic throughout the discussion. You cannot switch your views between the discussions, even if you are against the whole crowd. Extra points are always awarded to the person who has a stand in the discussion.
- Don’t make the GD a debate. Remember it is a discussion and you don’t have to fight if someone has different views than yours.
- Let others speak. If you see someone is trying to speak but is not able to speak because of others, you should give him/her a chance by actually saying “Let him speak” politely. It gives a good impression on the coordinator.
- If you don’t have much knowledge of the topic and don’t have your own points, then listen to everyone’s points and form your view from that and speak. You have to speak at least once in the discussion.
- When you are addressing the other people in the GD, don’t call them by their name. Address them by saying “my colleague” or “my fellow mate” or “previous speaker”. For example, if you want to carry forward the point of your previous speaker, you can start by “As my fellow mate said” or “I agree or disagree to my previous speaker”.
- Quote examples on the topic or come up with the facts. It makes the coordinator feel that you have a good knowledge about the topic. Also, other than facts and examples, do come up with your own point of view on the topic as well.
- If you keep all the above points in mind and practice group discussions with your friends, I can assure you that there will be 90% chances that you will clear the GD.
9) Prepare for the Technical Round
The subjects you may need to study for the multiple choice questions:
• Database Management System
• Data Structures
• Design and Analysis of Algorithms
• Object Oriented Programming Concepts
• Basic C fundamentals
Depending on the background of the company, you may be asked questions from these subjects as well,
Websites like www.geeksforgeeks.org can help here. Some other websites are which helps you in preparation are,
10) Prepare for the HR Interview –
One common question asked during HR round is about your strength and weakness. Evaluate your strengths and weakness objectively. You can read more about it in our blog.
Here are few of the strengths with examples that you can quote in the interview
Hardworking: I got 10 CGPA in my class 10th or I got my branch changed on the basis of merit after first year or being the head of some society in the college, I was able to make all the last minute preparations for an event and made it hit.
Team Player: Member of societies of the college or member of football team or successful completion of internship project in a team of 4 etc.
Leadership Qualities: Head of some society of the college, caption of the football team or lead a project in a company successfully.